LATEST NEWS:

Latest updates as the prime minister takes the daily coronavirus news conference for the first time since 25 March.

Coronavirus LIVE: PM says second spike would cause 'lasting economic damage'

More than 26,000 people have died with coronavirus in the UK, making it the second worst-hit country in Europe, new figures have shown.


A total of 26,097 people have died after contracting COVID-19, according to government data which included deaths in care homes and the wider community for the first time.

The total is up from 21,678 coronavirus deaths in UK hospitals announced on Tuesday - but Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab insisted there had not been a "sudden surge".

The latest deaths included a 14-year-old in England who had no known underlying health condition.

Public Health England (PHE) said the new method of reporting deaths showed an additional 3,811 fatalities since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, about 70% of which were "outside hospital settings".


There were 765 deaths reported in the 24 hours to 5pm on Tuesday.

The total number of UK coronavirus deaths was recorded between 2 March and 28 April and was around 17% higher than previous data showed, according to PHE.

Its medical director Professor Yvonne Doyle said she could not yet say whether deaths in care homes were falling.

She told the daily Downing Street briefing: "We should know that soon because the hospital curve has declined."


Prof Doyle said the figure for deaths in care homes may be revised up further.

She added: "In due course those deaths sadly may occur on death certificates, so we may expect more than we are seeing at the moment."

The UK's new coronavirus death total means it is the third worst-hit country in the world, behind Italy with 26,872 deaths and the US with more than 59,000 fatalities, according to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking the outbreak.

Nearly a third of all care homes in England have reported suspected or confirmed COVID-19 outbreaks.

Some 4,516 homes have reported outbreaks since 17 March up until Monday this week - around 29% of the total care homes.

In every region in England more than a fifth of care homes had reported outbreaks.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Tuesday he wanted to "bring as much transparency as possible" to the coronavirus death figures by including those in care homes and the community.

Mr Raab - standing in for Boris Johnson following the birth of the prime minister's son - said there was a "joint horror" across the House of Commons at the number of people killed in the outbreak.

Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance had suggested in March that keeping the UK's death total below 20,000 would be a good outcome.


At Prime Minister's Questions, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said: "We're clearly way above that number and we're only part way through this crisis and we're possibly on track to have one of the worst death rates in Europe."

He took issue with Mr Johnson's comments about the "apparent success" of the UK's strategy, adding: "Far from success these latest figures are truly dreadful."

UK weather: Week's worth of rainfall to hit Britain in 24 hours before thunder and hail

Heavy rain, thunder and hail is forecast for the coming days, along with plummeting temperatures, according to the Met Office.

Britain can expect a week's worth of rainfall in 24 hours as eight flood alerts have been issued while the nation remains in coronavirus lockdown.

Torrential rain, thunder and hail is forecast for the coming days, along with plummeting temperatures, according to the Met Office.

It follows highs of 25C (77F) last week and the driest April on record since 1938, tempting Britons to spend time outdoors.


Eight flood alerts are in place across southern England, with the government warning that some properties could be flooded.

After a spell of persistent rain in parts of England and Wales on Tuesday, a stronger band of rain will push north-eastwards on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Thursday will see scattered showers, some heavy and thundery, across many parts of the UK.


The very warm and dry April weather came to an abrupt end yesterday, with heavy rain for many central and southern parts, where temperatures were mostly in single figures Celsius.

"There'll be more heavy rain today, affecting all except northern Scotland and again tonight, but southern parts will be a bit warmer than yesterday.

"Heavy, blustery and sometimes thundery showers will spread to most parts tomorrow, bringing a risk of localised flooding, and it looks like staying showery into the weekend."

Wales and southwest England will be hardest-hit by the downpours, with up to 30mm of rain expected in some areas over today and tomorrow.


The wettest spot was Middle Wallop, Hampshire, with 24mm - almost an inch of rain," Sky News weather presenter Isobel Lang said.

"As further rain bands and showers spread northeastwards across the UK during today and tomorrow, we could record another 15 to 30mm of rain in some places.

"The wettest areas are like to be across Wales and southwest England.


During Friday and Saturday it turns drier in the West, but with further scattered showers over central and eastern areas - again there is the potential for around 10 to 20mm of rain in places."

The government's flood information service for Alton, Hampshire, warned that the persistent rainfall "could continue for several weeks or longer".

Meanwhile, in Lambourn Valley, Berkshire, it says: "Property flooding is possible in the longer term.


Plunging temperatures will accompany the wet and gloomy weather after some areas struggled to get above 8C (46.4F) on Tuesday. They will hover around the average over the next few days - between 10C (50F) to 14C (57.2F).

The weather also appears unsettled for the first week of May.

Met Office forecaster George Snell said: "Next week, there will be a lot more cloud in the sky and for many of us we will see some rain at some point."

Local News

Third arrest made after man attacked with bladed weapon in Eastwood

A man was taken to hospital following the incident

Police appeal for information over teenager stabbed in Derby park

A 31-year-old woman was arrested on Wednesday morning, April 29, on suspicion of assisting an offender. She remains in police custody.

The third arrest follows two men being put into custody in connection with an investigation into an assault.

A man was taken to hospital following the incident in Lawrence Avenue, Eastwood, at 4.23pm on Tuesday, April 28.

His injuries are not life-threatening, according to Nottinghamshire Police.

Two men, aged 36 and 32, have been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection with the investigation.

Police continue to appeal for witnesses and CCTV or dash-cam footage to help.

Detective Inspector Kim Binns, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: "This incident happened in the street in broad daylight. Weapon-related crime is unacceptable and I would urge anyone with information about this incident to come forward.

"Whilst we have made two arrests, enquiries are continuing and we would still like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident.

"If anyone has CCTV or dash-cam footage in the area at the time it may also be helpful to the investigation.

"Please call Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 490 of 28 April 2020."

Three teens have been arrested

An appeal has been launched after three teenagers were arrested in connection with a stabbing in Derby.

Police say an 18-year-old was stabbed in his stomach in Bass’ Recreation Ground on Sunday, March 8.

It is suspected that four teenage boys were involved in the incident that happened at 4.10pm, excluding the victim.

He was taken to hospital and is now recovering from his injuries.

Three people, two aged 18 and one aged 15, have been arrested in relation to the incident but released on police bail.

Now, officers would like to speak to the person pictured, who is not one of the teenagers arrested.


It is believed that this person might be able to aid police in their investigation.

Carers Week - June 2020